Down to Earth Garden Club
The Down to Earth Garden Club was founded to provide and maintain green areas for the city of DuBois. The group is entirely self- funded and the members provide the labor.
Currently, we maintain the following areas:
1. DuBois Library: 8 in-ground beds and 3 pots
2. Pershing Parking lot: 4 in-ground beds and 5 pots. The lot is decorated for fall and pots are filled with greens for winter.
3. Reitz Theater: all areas surrounding the theater plus 2 pots.
4. City Building: all areas surrounding the building.
5. On the embankment at the foot of Liberty Blvd.:
a. Garden across from Harley-Davidson
b. Walled garden at the entrance to Penn State
c. Bed at the top of the stairs and areas along the stairs.
d. Borders along the walls.
e. Pollinator Garden
6. 4 small beds and a butterfly bed on the Beaver Meadow Walkway.
7. A teaching butterfly bed at Parker Dam, plus a pollinator garden.
8. The group also provides programs for the library, and other non-profits and provides funding and assistance with school and church programs and helps the Downtown Revitalization Group with their projects.
9. Two benches were added to the city scape in 2012-2013 at the city building and on the Pershing lot. The former was a memorial to Aline Huey.
10. We maintain a plant nursery from which we sell plants to fund our projects. We also gift wrap for donations at the mall every year.
11. Field trips are organized as per member’s wishes. There are usually a couple of field trips per year.
12. A summer picnic and fall dinner are part of the yearly program.
13. The garden club participates in the annual spring clean-up and various other programs sponsored by down town groups.